[mapserver-users] mapcache seed slow

Sebastiano Laini Sebastiano.Laini at BuchananComputing.co.uk
Fri Feb 22 03:34:36 PST 2019

Hi all,

I'm trying to seed the whole UK at all zoom lv with these resolutions

<resolutions>280 140 70 28 14 7 6.16 2.8 1.4 0.7</resolutions>

But after 13 days it arrives at the 5th level where before I kill the process it seed just 900MB on that level.

This is my script

su -s /bin/sh apache -c "/usr/local/bin/mapcache_seed -c /usr/local/src/mapcache-1.6.1/build/mapcache.xml -t bccache -g bcgrid -z 5,6 -n 400" 2>&1>  /var/www/vhosts/$SITE/scripts/cache_log.txt

I know that in the documentation say that -n should be less or max the number of cpu in the server but is really slow if I put 2, so I tried with 100 and after 13 days that was the result so now I'm trying 400

Is there something else I can use to speed up the seed? I'm using the SQlite cache method

Should I use the -p (| -nprocesses: number of parallel processes that should be used to request tiles from the WMS source) Instead of the -n parameter?

Sebastiano Laini
Web Developer