[mapserver-users] Need help diagnosing issue with Arabic labels

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Fri Jul 19 10:00:24 PDT 2019

Hello everyone!

Requesting your help, by testing and providing feedback on an labeling
issue reported by a user, Ryan Whitley, a few years ago.

I have/had created a full sample, containing Arabic fonts, and a short
mapfile, that you can execute locally with shp2img at
https://github.com/mapserver/mapserver/files/1005449/ticket-5426-arabic-labels.zip

You can read the issue at https://github.com/mapserver/mapserver/issues/5426

Today I tested on Ubuntu, and the label problem still exists, with
MapServer 7.4.1, fribidi 1.0.5, and harfbuzz 2.4.0  (all compiled from
source today)

I also of course get the error with the latest MS4W on Windows.

So, since it applies to all platforms, please if you have a minute
download the sample, run shp2img locally, report your findings and
provide ideas on how to fix the issue.

thanks!

Have a nice weekend everyone,

-jeff