[mapserver-users] Higher Memory Usage with vsicurl and gdal > 2.2.4

Peter Schmitt pschmitt at gmail.com
Fri Mar 29 14:02:42 PDT 2019

Hi,

I run MapServer in a Docker container. I noticed its memory utilization
climbed much higher than expected. This seems to happen only under the
following conditions:

* Files are accessed network-based filesystems (I tried both /vsicurl/ and
/vsis3/)
* Using gdal  > 2.2.4 (tested with 2.3.0, 2.3.2 & 2.4.1.  I see the same
behavior with both MapServer-7.0.7 and MapServer-7.2.2.

I had a hard time isolating this to GDAL and could not reproduce with
similar gdal_translate commands.  So I put together a little example to try
and demonstrate the problem.
https://github.com/pedros007/gdal_mapserver_memory

Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be going on? I tried various
cache settings, which do not seem to reduce memory utilization:
https://github.com/pedros007/gdal_mapserver_memory/blob/master/mapfiles/indonesian_redcross.map#L15-L18

Thanks,
Pete