[mapserver-users] LA raster images in MapServer and MapCache

David Hoese dhoese at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 13:30:03 PDT 2020

Hi,

I have some geotiffs that are grayscale with an alpha band (Luminance +
Alpha). MapServer seems to be able to read and understand the
transparency fine, but I'm having trouble figuring out if it is possible
to produce a gray+alpha PNG version of these by configuring
OUTPUTFORMAT. My end goal is to reduce the size of the images cached by
MapCache by having my MapServer WMS produce gray+alpha PNGs.

Does the builtin AGG/PNG driver in MapServer support this format? Like I
said, I couldn't figure it out based on the documentation. Assuming
GDAL/PNG can do it, does anyone have an idea on the performance penalty?
The MapServer documentation mentions that AGG/PNG is generally more
efficient.

Thanks for any info. I'll keep playing around.

Dave