[mapserver-users] Show traffic on roads.

Erik H erik.h11.01 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 25 16:48:07 PST 2020

Depends on your requirements. If you just want to visualize typical traffic
conditions, MapServer can do the job, it's pretty straightforward. Just
join your road geometries with the congestion data (actual speed /
free-flow speed), apply some filters (SQL conditions) on road class and
maybe congestion (omitting non-congested roads), and render that in the
appropriate color.

If, on the other hand, you have a feed with speeds that vary frequently, it
gets tricky because you can't really use a regular tile cache. I ended up
abandoning MapServer for this - the problem was not so much the rendering,
but PostGIS was getting overwhelmed. If you get your speed data from a
company like HERE or INRIX, you should be able to use their tilers. If not,
you have a nice challenge.