[mapserver-users] mapserver / mapcache performance when reprojecting many

Mark Volz MarkVolz at co.lyon.mn.us
Mon Jul 13 14:13:20 PDT 2020

Hi,

I was able to increase the performance of my reprojected service by resampling the raster.   If anyone else has any tips please let me know.

Thank You
Sincerely,
Mark Volz, GISP

Hello,

I created a Mapserver / Mapcache service that uses a tile index with about 1,000 jpg file.  When I use my counties native projection the service is quite fast especially when compared to using MrSID mosaics.  However, when I reproject my imagery to EPSG: 3857 the service much slower than my older MrSID service.  I presume this may have something to do with Mapserver needing to load and reporject all the tiles.

Please let me know if you have any tips that could help speed up the service.  Here are a couple things I thought of:

*         Just use MrSID mosaics which will provide mediocre performance in the source projection, but may be faster when reprojecting.

*         Convert the data into a geotiff format which will take time.

*         Use MrSID files at smaller scales, and Jpeg tiles at larger scales.  This should give us acceptable speed, but we will need to store more data.

*         Something else.

Thank You!

Sincerely,

Mark Volz, GISP