[mapserver-users] Slow and degrading performance with radar (but not satellite) on mapserver-6.0.1-3_0.el6.x86_64

Stephen Woodbridge stephenwoodbridge37 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 13:45:16 PDT 2020

Hi Paul,

So you have a complex historical "mess" and its not clear where the
performance issue is. So you need to divide the problem into small
problems that you can verify are or are not contributing. I would start
with something like this:

Take one slow image request and try that as cgi or cli and not fcgi and
turn on debugging.

   - copy and rename you mapfile so it doesn't mess with the production
requests

   - turn on the debugging and send it to stderr in the debug mapfile

  - you can manually run that image request from the commandline like:

if mapserv is not in your path you might need to find it and your the
path to it below

mapserv -nh QUERY_STRING="everything after the ? in the original query"
 >junk.png 2>error.txt

-nh suppresses headers from being output before the image data

error.txt will be stderr output and should contain the debug messages

Then report back what you find out.

-Steve W