[mapserver-users] QGIS / Mapserver WFS filter (bbox/envelope) interoperability issue

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Fri Jun 5 06:09:22 PDT 2020

> So my question: is a newer version of UMN (7.2, 7.4, 7.6) perhaps the
> "Envelope" style syntax in the WFS filter that QGIS Desktop is sending or
> should we better try to add a new "bbox" method to the WFS Client of QGIS
> Desktop? I quickly browsed through the UMN Mapserver changelogs but didn't
> see any obvious improvement around "Envelope" support in filters.

Hi Andreas,

this is quite unfortunate MapServer doesn't support gml:Envelope as a geometry in the
"Intersects" request, whereas we support it inside a <BBOX> filter.
The optimistic in me says that shouldn't be too hard to fix.

The supported geometries inside "intersects" are at:
https://github.com/mapserver/mapserver/blob/master/mapogcfilter.cpp#L1015

It doesn't look however that gml:Box would be legal in GML 3.2 (so with WFS 1.1 or 2.0) as it
is a legacy from GML 2 or perhaps even older. MapServer doesn't care much about GML
versions and compliance to schema on input side, but other servers might reject a
fes:Intersects with a gml:Box

Even

http://www.spatialys.com