[mapserver-users] SSL curl error when hitting HTTP WMS

John Huotari John.Huotari at RCIS.com
Mon Jun 8 22:46:13 PDT 2020

I'm attempting to hit a WMS using HTTP, not HTTPS, but I run into the following SSL error

HTTP: request failed with curl error code 60 (SSL certificate problem: unable to get local issuer certificate)

I can get around this error by downloading a CA bundle file and setting the CURL_CA_BUNDLE environment variable to point to it, but why is a CA bundle file necessary when not even using SSL (hitting a WMS using HTTP, not HTTPS)?  Does anyone know a workaround that wouldn't require deploying a CA bundle file to my servers and setting an environment variable to point to it?

I'm currently using the stable release of MSVC 2017 x64 package downloaded from GISInternals - http://www.gisinternals.com/release.php

A sample mapfile looks like this

MAP
  NAME USA1
  STATUS ON
  IMAGETYPE PNG8
  RESOLUTION 72
  IMAGECOLOR 255 255 255
  UNITS METERS
  PROJECTION "proj=lcc" "lat_1=20" "lat_2=60" "lat_0=40" "lon_0=-112.52116185" "x_0=0" "y_0=0" "ellps=GRS80" "units=m" "datum=NAD83" END
  SIZE 1500 1500
  EXTENT -45292.7219576058 780481.616003812 45290.5126012127 871065.05991903
  LAYER
   NAME "WMS_DRG"
    TYPE RASTER
    STATUS ON
    PROJECTION "proj=longlat" "ellps=GRS80" "datum=NAD83" "no_defs" END
    CONNECTION "http://basemap.nationalmap.gov/arcgis/services/USGSTopo/MapServer/WmsServer?"
    CONNECTIONTYPE WMS
    METADATA
      "wms_srs"  "EPSG:4326"
      "wms_name"  "0"
      "wms_server_version"  "1.1.1"
      "wms_format"  "image/png"
    END
  END
END

This message, along with any attachments, is for the designated recipient(s) only and may contain privileged, proprietary, or otherwise confidential information. If this message has reached you in error, kindly destroy it without review and notify the sender immediately. Any other use of such misdirected e-mail by you is prohibited. Where allowed by local law, electronic communications with Zurich and its affiliates, including e-mail and instant messaging (including content), may be scanned for the purposes of information security and assessment of internal compliance with company policy.