[mapserver-users] PostgreSQL authentication method.

Moen, Paul T. pmoen at nd.gov
Thu Feb 18 12:25:11 PST 2021

I recently tried a Mapserver layer connected to a PostgreSQL 13.2 database that had password_encryption = scram-sha-256.  I was unsuccessful in getting it to work until I switched it to md5 and reset the passwords.  The following error was logged and the interesting part seems to be (authentication method 10 not supported).

[Thu Feb 18 13:57:02.652879 2021] [php7:warn] [pid 16668] [client 192.168.100.4:57341] PHP Warning:  mapObj::drawQuery(): [MapServer Error]: msPostGISLayerOpen(): Database connection failed. Check server logs for more details.Is the database running? Is it allowing connections? Does the specified user exist? Is the password valid? Is the database on the standard port?\n in /Volumes/Data/WebServer/newswc/php/drawmappm.php on line 243, referer: http://stagmapservice.swc.nd.gov/
Database connection failed (authentication method 10 not supported
) with connect string 'user=dauser password=****** dbname=swc host=dadatabase.blah.blah.blah port=5432'
Is the database running? Is it allowing connections? Does the specified user exist? Is the password valid? Is the database on the standard port? in msPostGISLayerOpen()msPostGISLayerOpen(): Query error. Database connection failed. Check server logs for more details.Is the database running? Is it allowing connections? Does the specified user exist? Is the password valid? Is the database on the standard port?
msDrawMap(): Image handling error. Failed to draw layer named 'Countries - Natl Atlas'.

Is this an issue with MapServer?  If so, will scram-sha-256 authentication be supported by Mapserver?

Thanks,

Paul

MapServer version 7.6.2 OUTPUT=PNG OUTPUT=JPEG OUTPUT=KML SUPPORTS=PROJ SUPPORTS=AGG SUPPORTS=FREETYPE SUPPORTS=CAIRO SUPPORTS=ICONV SUPPORTS=WMS_SERVER SUPPORTS=WMS_CLIENT SUPPORTS=WFS_SERVER SUPPORTS=WFS_CLIENT SUPPORTS=WCS_SERVER SUPPORTS=SOS_SERVER SUPPORTS=FASTCGI SUPPORTS=GEOS SUPPORTS=POINT_Z_M SUPPORTS=PBF INPUT=JPEG INPUT=POSTGIS INPUT=OGR INPUT=GDAL INPUT=SHAPEFILE