[mapserver-users] Hello from Finland

Stefan Gofferje lists at home.gofferje.net
Sun Mar 14 03:43:59 PDT 2021

Hello all!

I just wanted to quickly introduce myself. I just started tinkering with
mapserver to see if I can make it work as a new backend for my weather
website. I'm running www.saakeskus.fi as a free website for stormchasers
in Finland since 2007. At the moment, it's tons of pre-rendered maps
which are done with GrADS in a Joomla website. A while ago I started
reworking the web part based on Leaflet and and started writing new map
creation scripts in bash with GDAL. That works pretty nicely but results
in one huge mapfile for each parameter at each time...
And then I stumbled over mapserver... :).
I have a test server running on docker on my home server at the moment
and I'm making (I think) pretty good progress understanding how it
works. I don't really know a lot about GIS stuff but I got my first
working WMS maps from grib files out of it after about one and a half
day of tinkering.
On the old version of my website, I published almost all my GrADS
scripts because there wasn't much information on the web on how to do
nice weather maps with GrADS when I started. If I can make mapserver
work for me, I'm planning to do the same with mapserver map files.

Looking forward to the community!
Have a beautiful Sunday!
Stefan

--
  (o_   Stefan Gofferje            | SCLT, MCP, CCSA
  //\   Reg'd Linux User #247167   | VCP #2263