[mapserver-users] Docker for AWS S3 and Mapserver 7 on OSGeo Github?

Peter Schmitt pschmitt at gmail.com
Mon May 17 09:52:23 PDT 2021

Hi Steve & Brian,

I made the source repo https://github.com/pedros007/mapserver-docker a few
years ago. I think one of my colleagues must have shared a link to it
somewhere on YNews.  I have a more updated Dockerfile based on
the osgeo/gdal:ubuntu-full-3.3.0 docker image that I could submit a PR to
MapServer if anyone else would find it useful.  It's similar to what's on
that mapserver-docker repo: MapServer runs with supervisord listening on a
unix socket. Requests are reverse proxied by Nginx. It has worked pretty
well for us.

Pete

On Thu, May 13, 2021 at 9:24 AM Steve Lime <sdlime at gmail.com> wrote:

> It's not a docker image I'm familiar with. It looks to be pinned to a very
> specific version of MapServer - one that shouldn't be used given its age
> and subsequent releases so I wouldn't include it "as is". Not sure what the
> interest would be in developing a project-sanctioned image that was kept
> current with the most recent version of MapServer and other dependencies
> such as GDAL, PROJ, etc...
>
> On Wed, May 12, 2021 at 9:22 AM Brian M Hamlin <maplabs at light42.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Steve, Mapserver PSC and All -
>>
>>   First, please know that *OSGeo dot org* is delivering the 14th edition
>> of the *OSGeoLive Linux* based on Ubuntu/Debian/GNU OS. Release
>> candidate 5 is built today and we at OSGeoLive team are soliciting
>> feedback. (details on request)
>>
>>   I want to ask the *Mapserver* team and users for feedback on a
>> somewhat random find on Github, starting with a YNews thread recently.  An
>> employee of MAXAR posted that they use a Mapserver-in-Docker to provide WMS
>> endpoint for large sat imagery on AWS in S3 buckets -- without having to
>> handle the data, essentially "on demand"
>>
>>   https://github.com/OSGeo/mapserver-docker
>>
>>   Is this Docker image familiar ?  Is it worth including in a
>> fairly-small group of repos on the official OSGeo Github ?  other feeback
>> or leads?
>>
>>   thanks and very best regards     --Brian M Hamlin    /  MAPLABS  /
>> Berkeley, Calif.

Pete