[mapserver-users] How to Turn off a Layer when other specific Layer is ON in a map file ?

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Tue Nov 23 13:29:50 PST 2021

Hi Carlos,

I had a great answer drafted for you, tooting my own horn on the recent
MapServer tutorial updates for MapServer 8.x, and the demo server
updates...as by chance the tutorial mentions that the parameter
"REQUIRES" at the LAYER level should do exactly what you need, super :
but sadly my tests now fail with MapServer 8.0-dev, I cannot get
REQUIRES to work, such as:

   LAYER
    ..
    REQUIRES "![modis]"
   END

  where modis is another layer name.

Since I hadn't been testing this feature, and it is only briefly
mentioned in the tutorial (and not part of the live demo), I have no way
of saying when this should have worked, for what MapServer version.  It
is part of the tutorial mapfiles, but the functionality is not working,
for my local tests.

But your question has made me see more room for improvement in the
tutorial, and its mapfiles, so your question has helped.

Sorry for my non-news, ha.

I'll do more testing on this feature and report back.

-jeff

--
Jeff McKenna
GatewayGeo: Developers of MS4W, MapServer Consulting and Training