[mapserver-users] Mapserver + WMS

Carl Godkin cgodkin at gmail.com
Thu Oct 7 16:12:31 PDT 2021

Hi,

I'm new to mapserver but fairly experienced with GDAL.  I hope that someone
can explain where I've gone wrong with setting up WMS.

I followed the instructions here [
https://worldwind.earth/elevation-server.html] almost exactly to set up a
WMS server and it sort of works.  (I am using MS4W actually, so I didn't
install Apache & Mapserver as that page described and of course I made a
few other adaptations for Windows.)

I downloaded the GEBCO tiles from here [
https://www.gebco.net/data_and_products/gridded_bathymetry_data/] without
any problems.

What I don't understand is that while the GEBCO GeoTIFF files that I am
using have one band that gdalinfo describes as

 Band 1 Block=512x512 Type=Int16, ColorInterp=Gray

when I look at the WMS bands using gdalinfo, I see three byte-sized bands:

Band 1 Block=1024x1024 Type=Byte, ColorInterp=Red
Band 2 Block=1024x1024 Type=Byte, ColorInterp=Green
Band 3 Block=1024x1024 Type=Byte, ColorInterp=Blue

I'd really like to get 16-bit integer elevations from my WMS server but I
don't know why this didn't just happen or how I mis-configured things to
make it not happen.

I know these are not complete details, but rather than write a novel for my
first post here, I'm hoping someone can suggest where the problem might be
or suggest some further documentation to read.

Thanks very much,
carl