[mapserver-users] Mapscript Python module version 7.6.0 not working with Python 3 > 3.6

Marco Beri marcoberi at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 01:39:53 PDT 2022

Dear Mapserver Users,
I was not able to find a way to open an issue with this project
https://pypi.org/project/mapscript/7.6.0/

If you try to import the current mapserver module with Python 3 version
major than 3.6 (which already reached his end of life) you encounter this
error:

ImportError: cannot import name '_mapscript' from partially initialized
module 'mapscript' (most likely due to a circular import)

Would you help me find a way to open a ticket or to do a pull request or
whatever is the best way to help the developers to fix this problem?

Thanks a lot.

Ciao.
Marco.
P.S. You can easily reproduce it with these 3 simple steps (and a Python
version 3.8 or greater):

pip install mapscript
python
>>> import mapscript
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
  File
"/home/marcob/.virtualenvs/mapscript/lib/python3.9/site-packages/mapscript/__init__.py",
line 2, in <module>
    from .mapscript import *
  File
"/home/marcob/.virtualenvs/mapscript/lib/python3.9/site-packages/mapscript/mapscript.py",
line 13, in <module>
    from . import _mapscript