[MapServer-users] .symbol file and multiple FONT calls . . .

Basques, Bob (CI-StPaul) bob.basques at ci.stpaul.mn.us
Mon Dec 19 11:20:55 PST 2022

All,

I'm getting funny error when trying to reference two different FONT files from inside of the same .SYMBOL file.  I have these symbols:

SYMBOL
    NAME 'co_highway_front'
    TYPE TRUETYPE
    FONT 'shields-co'
    CHARACTER 'V'
    ANTIALIAS TRUE
  END
  SYMBOL
    NAME 'co_highway_back'
    TYPE TRUETYPE
    FONT 'shields-co'
    CHARACTER 'U'
    ANTIALIAS TRUE
  END

  SYMBOL
    NAME 'interstate1_wide_back'
    TYPE TRUETYPE
    FONT 'shields'
    CHARACTER '7'
    ANTIALIAS TRUE
  END

  SYMBOL
    NAME 'interstate1_wide_front'
    TYPE TRUETYPE
    FONT 'shields'
    CHARACTER '8'
    ANTIALIAS TRUE
  END

Whenever I try to reference one of the SYMBOL names that goes to the 'sheilds_co' font I get this error:

<?xml version='1.0' encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no" ?>
<!DOCTYPE ServiceExceptionReport SYSTEM http://schemas.opengis.net/wms/1.1.1/exception_1_1_1.dtd>
<ServiceExceptionReport version="1.1.1">
<ServiceException>
msLoadMSRasterBufferFromFile(): General error message. unable to open file /srv/www/datasets/PUBLIC/TRANSPORTATION/STP_CENTERLINE/co_highway_front for reading
</ServiceException>
</ServiceExceptionReport>

All the symbols work for the 'shields' font.  I'm not sure how the SYMBOL NAME is being passed as a filename to Mapserver either . . .

Here is the .font definitions:

shields         ./DDVMN01B.TTF
shields-co      ./DDVMN19B.TTF
arial-bold      ./ARIALBD.TTF
action          ./Action_Bold.ttf
bluehigh        ./bluehigh.ttf

The two font files in question both open up in the font explorer just fine.

Any thoughts?  Thanks.  I think I'm missing something simple.

Bobb

My machine - - - PW19-S295-C024