[mapserver-users] Mapcache time dimension default value; and 'tearing down pooled connection' message

David Hoese dhoese at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 17:52:28 PST 2022

Trygve,

Hello from outside the Pytroll community ;)

I can't answer your second question as I don't have much experience with
getCapabilities, but I think I have an answer for the first question. My
understanding for the `default` parameter was that that was the returned
time string if no times were returned by the query (empty result). I
have always expected this to be a normal time string like
2022-01-01T12:00:00Z (to match your expected format. However, the fact
that you always get the oldest image when the default is "d1" is
surprising to me so I hope the mapcache devs can correct me.

As for the source code for this, I found that the default from the XML
goes into a dimension object as "default_value". It then gets set as the
default "requested_value" like here:

https://github.com/MapServer/mapcache/blob/447c0c6848fd101c11e6d54e451037e571117ef1/lib/tileset.c#L585

Going down the rabbit hole led me to here:

https://github.com/MapServer/mapcache/blob/447c0c6848fd101c11e6d54e451037e571117ef1/lib/dimension_pg.c#L265-L271

As far as I can tell "get_values_for_entry_query" is just the
"validate_query" query from your XML config. So somehow your validate
query with "dp1" input may be returning the oldest time in your
database. Just a guess. I'm interested in this answer, but definitely
not the best person to give it to you.

Dave