[mapserver-users] External WMS issue

John Huotari John.Huotari at RCIS.com
Wed Jun 8 15:07:50 PDT 2022

I'm having trouble hitting a WMS referenced from within my .map file.  Instead of the image from the WMS being drawn as a layer in my map, I instead get an error logged of "request failed with curl error code 60 (SSL certificate problem: unable to get local issuer certificate) for https://basemap.nationalmap.gov/arcgis/services/USGSTopo/MapServer/WmsServer?LAYERS=0&REQUEST=GetMap&SERVICE=WMS&...<remainder omitted for brevity>"

The confusing thing to me is that the exact same .map file works just fine to produce a map image containing the referenced layer when I run mapserver -nh at a command prompt.  i.e. mapserv -nh "QUERY_STRING=map=test.map&...<remainder omitted for brevity>" > test.png

I've configured a CURL_CA_BUNDLE environment variable pointing to a curl-ca-bundle.crt file and I think the fact that I can reach that external WMS when running the mapserv command at a command prompt would indicate it's configured correctly.  Any thoughts on what could cause the failure I'm seeing though MapServer running on Windows though IIS as a FastCGI app while succeeding when running the same .map file at a command prompt?  Or any thoughts on what I might try to troubleshoot further?

.map file contents are below

MAP
  NAME "MAP"
  CONFIG "MS_ERRORFILE" "e:/LogFiles/ms_error3.txt"
  CONFIG "PROJ_LIB" "E:/ms/projlib/"
  DEBUG 5
  EXTENT -20037508.342789244 -20037508.342789244 20037508.342789244 20037508.342789244
  SIZE 256 256
  SYMBOLSET "E:\ms\basedata\symbols.txt"
  FONTSET "E:\ms\basedata\fonts.txt"
  IMAGECOLOR 255 255 255
  TRANSPARENT ON
  DEFRESOLUTION 72
  RESOLUTION 72
  UNITS meters
  PROJECTION "init=epsg:3857" END
  WEB
    METADATA
      "wms_enable_request" "*"
    END
  END
  LAYER
    STATUS DEFAULT TYPE RASTER NAME "WMS_DRG"
    DEBUG 5
    CONNECTIONTYPE WMS CONNECTION "https://basemap.nationalmap.gov/arcgis/services/USGSTopo/MapServer/WmsServer?"
    PROJECTION "init=epsg:3857" END
    METADATA
      "wms_srs"  "EPSG:3857"
      "wms_name"  "0"
      "wms_server_version"  "1.1.1"
      "wms_format"  "image/png"
    END
  END
END

This message, along with any attachments, is for the designated recipient(s) only and may contain privileged, proprietary, or otherwise confidential information. If this message has reached you in error, kindly destroy it without review and notify the sender immediately. Any other use of such misdirected e-mail by you is prohibited. Where allowed by local law, electronic communications with Zurich and its affiliates, including e-mail and instant messaging (including content), may be scanned for the purposes of information security and assessment of internal compliance with company policy.