[MapServer-users] Mapserver x k8s issue

Marcin Niemyjski mniemyjski at cloudferro.com
Fri Nov 25 00:52:01 PST 2022

Hello,

I'm involved in the development of a project connecting Mapserver with capabilities of Kubernetes like scalability, load balancing etc.

We've run into problem wich I think can be solved on the side o Mapserver, namely:

The k8s external IP cannot immediately be placed in "wms_onlineresource" because it takes time to generate it. Up to now I have checked the WMS operation by GetCapabilites, GetMap queries, and set "wms_onlineresource" to http://localhost:80/?map=/etc/mapserver/map1-test.map. I've made requests (GetMap GetCapabilites) via http://<External IP Address>/?map=/etc/mapserver/map1-test.map - everything was working. However, when loading the layer into QGIS nothing happened. I believe this is because even though the queries work using url with external IP, the information that comes in the XML file contains localhost:80 and QGIS is trying to connect to a layer that does not exist locally.

Is there any way for the mapserver to know that localhost:80 must be replaced with the external ip address from the query?

Best,
Marcin