[MapServer-users] mapserver 8 - CGI map_object substitutions broken?

Steve Lime sdlime at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 12:49:32 PDT 2022

Hi Tim: I was wondering if I'd see any messages on that topic. Short story
is that the functionality was removed in MS8. I never liked the
all-or-nothing aspect of it and was working on a method to control which
objects would be allowed to be updated. The solutions I came up with were
convoluted and were going to add a lot of complexity to the codebase for
little value. That functionality is poorly documented and by itself overly
complicates the code. So after a note to mapserver-users trying to judge
how much it was used - with limited replies - it was decided to remove it.
I'm dealing with my own upgrade issues as a result, but it's worth it in
the end IMHO.

If necessary, it's better to revisit with another method - ideally
something along the lines of runsubs. The challenge is specifying when to
apply them and how to validate values. Strings are easy, but numeric/color
values aren't so we'd need to do something like add runtime bindings
(similar to attribute bindings) so you'd write SIZE %mysize% instead. One
advantage being you could reuse the variable across layers.

So, what are the options right now? It sort of depends on your needs. Do
you need to only support a couple of sizes for a class or do you truly need
*any* size? Options include:

   - multiple mapfiles - probably using includes to limit redundancy
   - class groups
   - if you're using a db backend I think attribute bindings could work
   paired with runsubs

DATA "shape FROM (select *, %textsize% AS textsize FROM ...)

VALIDATION

    "textsize_default" "13"

    "textsize" "^8|10|12|14$"

END

CLASS

  LABEL

    SIZE [textsize] # I think attribute binding works here

  END

END

   - MapScript - load the mapfile, do the changes you need, render the map

Happy to discuss further and perhaps other folks have ideas.

--Steve