[MapServer-users] "Emergency" map server on Raspberry Pi - raster/PNG source in folder structure

Ian Turton ijturton at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 09:18:23 PDT 2022

I gave a talk about something similar a few years back at FOSS4G - the
video is at https://vimeo.com/248675454

I used a Raspberry Pi, GeoServer and MapProxy but I can't see why MapServer
would not work.

It's perfectly feasible, though a little slow. A newer Pi4 would probably
be fine though, especially with a SSD for the data and cache

Ian

On Wed, 12 Oct 2022 at 13:06, Stefan Gofferje <lists at home.gofferje.net>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Life (and COVID) hit, so I never got anywhere with updating my weather
> website and taking mapserver into use there.
>
> Currently I have another project - due to the geopolitical situation:
> I'm working on a mobile system to provide emergency/off-grid "tactical"
> communication and data. It's centered on a Raspberry Pi and includes
> things like Meshtastic and others. One of the things I would like to add
> is a WMS/WFS server to provide map data via local Wifi AP to connected
> devices.
>
> Topographical (and other) maps of whole Finland are available under CC4
> from the Finnish Land Survey through the KAPSI non-profit. The maps are
> in 12kx12k PNGs in a folder structure by UTM grid. See here:
>
> http://kartat.kapsi.fi/files/peruskarttarasteri_jhs180/taustavari_korkeuskayrilla/1m/etrs89/png/
> The data can by rsync'd down.
> I'm not clear how I would configure mapserver for that. Do I have to
> create one map with extent and such for each PNG tile or can I point
> mapserver to the root directory  of the data and tell it to go through
> it recursively and get the data from the PGW sidecar files?
>
> -Stefan
>
> --
>   (o_   Stefan Gofferje            | SCLT, MCP, CCSA
>   //\   Reg'd Linux User #247167   | VCP #2263
>   V_/_  https://www.gofferje.net   | https://www.saakeskus.fi

Ian Turton