[MapServer-users] Redirecting to s3 via apache2 redirect/alias/proxy

Timothy Kempisty - NOAA Federal timothy.kempisty at noaa.gov
Thu Oct 27 08:31:52 PDT 2022

Your original message described an attempt to use /vsis3/ , which is a GDAL
feature that lets it read datasets from S3.  Mapserver uses those GDAL
hooks to read datasets and rasters, but it does not use GDAL to read
mapfiles.  To my knowledge, Mapserver itself doesn't speak s3 natively.
Mapserver has no way of getting its mapfile from an s3 URL... or any URL,
for that matter.

The only way I can think of to get mapfiles from s3 is to use something
like s3fs-fuse.  That would mount the s3 bucket as a filesystem on the VM.
Then mapserver would read it like a normal local file.

But you said you didn't want to do it that way.  I think you're chasing
something that isn't possible.

Even if it were possible, I wouldn't necessarily advise it.  It seems like
it would be a security nightmare.  Also, mapfiles aren't usually that big.
When you spin up a new VM, why not just download a copy of the mapfiles
locally?  Huge rasters can live on S3, and that's fine.  The DATA line can
use /vsis3/ to get the raster. But mapfiles?  I'd question how much would
be gained at the cost of latency and security risks.

-Tim