[MapServer-users] MB Tiles vs. UTF grids

karsten karsten at terragis.net
Fri Sep 2 15:22:25 PDT 2022

Hi All,

For the first time, I am diving into actually using vector tiles and or UTF
grids on an OpenLayers map. I am confused  about UTF grids, especially I
could not find clear answers whether UTF Grids have been completely replaced
by MB Tiles or if UTF Grids are now a subset of MB Tiles. Posts on the web
seem to suggest that
<https://medium.com/@pyin001/utfgrid-and-mbtiles-map-file-decoding-on-androi
d-864487697752> UTF grids can be stored inside MB Tiles . Note that I am
trying to stay outside the Mapbox empire (as much as possible) and trying to
use GDAL, MapServer etc.
GDAL can produce MB tiles (but not sure if that includes UTF grid info as
well) and MapServer can deliver UTF grid via WMS on the fly, but not sure
how performance is so far ...
Would anyone have some insights ?

Thanks

Karsten Vennemann