[MapServer-users] breaking changes in branch-7-6 after commit of experimental changes from branch-8-0

Oliver Christen oliver.christen at camptocamp.com
Tue May 30 05:20:32 PDT 2023

before that commit, the following code was working:

    STYLE
      COLOR 255 255 255
      SYMBOL "rectangle3"
      ANGLE -45
      SIZE 8
      GAP 10
    END

after that commit, it no longer works, as ANGLE -45 is not accepted
anymore, instead it had to be changed to

STYLE
      COLOR 255 255 255
      SYMBOL "rectangle3"
      ANGLE 315
      SIZE 8
      GAP 10
    END

the documentation https://mapserver.org/mapfile/style.html say it must be
of type DOUBLE, but double can be negative and nothing say explicitly in
the documentation that the value can not be negative.

I see this discussion here:
https://github.com/MapServer/MapServer/issues/6463
but no comment if something was done or agreed on about this.
A note should be added to the documentation to make that clear, as it was
done for label size (see below).
I can do a PR if that would be acceptable ?

for label size, I see that a note was added saying the value must be
greater than zero on 26 january 2022, so I guess this is on me for not
noticing it (but im not alone not noticing it so I guess it wasnt clearly
stated/announced either)

Best regards
Oliver