[MapServer-users] New GDAL Raster Tile Index driver

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Wed Jan 24 11:30:13 PST 2024

Hi,

while I'm still thinking to it, I just wanted to mention a new driver
that has landed into the development version of GDAL, code-named "GTI",
for GDAL Raster Tile Index ( https://gdal.org/drivers/raster/gti.html )
which will be available in the GDAL 3.9 release. This is basically a
MapServer raster tile index that is recognized as a GDAL raster, with a
few optional metadata items, typically to declare the target resolution,
stored in the vector file (typically GeoPackage or FlatGeoBuf), or
externally in a XML file. This should enhance the interoperability
between GDAL and MapServer.

If using MapServer against GDAL 3.9, you could potentially use such a
tile index as a classic DATA in your mapfile. One nice enhancement is
that it can also support referencing other tile indexes or plain rasters
for overviews. Many possibilities to explore.

Even

--
http://www.spatialys.com