[MapServer-users] Font file gets locked by the mapserv process

Benedek Petrovicz benedek.petrovicz at gmail.com
Mon Jun 10 01:25:05 PDT 2024

Hi!

When trying to make a new deploy on our server we get an error that the
font file which is being used for WMS requests is locked by the mapserv
process and cannot be overwritten.
I re-created the issue on a local test environment. (OS: Windows, mapserv
is running on IIS)

I send a WMS request to mapserv, where I use an arial.ttf font file.
After the request is fulfilled, IIS keeps the process running for a while
to be prepared for any additional requests.
Even though no requests are coming in, mapserv keeps a lock on the font
file.
I can delete/overwrite any other files (mapfiles, fontset.list, etc.), but
not that single font file.
After the process reaches its idle time limit (which is set in IIS) and
terminates, the file is not being locked anymore.

Is there a specific reason for keeping that font file locked while idling?
Can I prevent this somehow?

Thanks
Petrovicz