OSGeo web site, was: [Web Comm] osgeo conference web site

Arnulf Christl (CCGIS) arnulf.christl at ccgis.de
Mon Apr 17 07:57:12 EDT 2006

(this was originally sent to WebCom and VisCom, but i misspelled the
VisCom mail address, here goes again. Sorry.)

Hi,
the help site that is displayed to new people when they first log in
should be updated to reflect the different levels of contribution. The
current page seems to diverge from what you said:
https://www.osgeo.org/nonav/scdocs/ProjectRoles.html

Additionally it might be confusing to people if the first thing they see
is a "request for new project" dialog. It is discouraging (so many  things
to enter), confusing (not every new user will want to become this deeply
involved at first contact). And we probably don't want everybody to
suggest a new project first thing off but rather nudge them into joining
and contributing to existing projects. This could be reflected on the
welcome page for new users - like show a list linking to areas of
interest. From there (thats the currently slightly bleak web sites) it
would link to the resources of that project.

The rest is a mess, I have too many ideas, sorry to get nothing done.

I like what Frank said (Oh, did I say that before...=:-)

Jody Garnett wrote:
> Thanks for the feedback. I got on a bit of a tear and wrote the previous
> ones up, and then started evaluating the proposed website content
> against the user needed.
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/WebCom_OSGeo_Site_Focus
>
> I am starting to wonder if I should take this up with the viability
> committee? Anyone care to clarify the focus difference between the two
> committees?

Jody,

In my opinion the Web Committee is responsible for the organization of
the web site, and ensuring it meets the various visitor profiles.  The
Visibility and Promotion committee can be seen as driving general awareness
in the broader geospatial community about what OSGeo does.  It will no
doubt provide some promotional material for the web site, but I see it's
role more as driving traffic to the web site rather detailed organization
of the web site.

Of course there is some overlap.  In particular, VisCom has gone through
some of the same process of identifying different subcommunities that it
needs to reach out to.  The "enterprise decision maker", the "end user"
and the "developer" for instance.  So a little coordination may be in
order though I think cross membership will take care of that.

Best regards,
(wonder wonder - finally I understand what this setting clouds in motion
means. Its Zeus himself, god of the skies and thunder. ...or ist it that
every cloud has a silver lining?)

Who would like to take care of membership crossing to order coordination?
Someone from WebCom with strong nerves and commit access preferably.

I finally had time to look into the community document by refractions that
Jody linked from:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/WebCom_OSGeo_Site_Focus#Community_Profiles

I like this really a lot. We have something starting up like this in the
Wiki for OSGeo itself (and some projects have it individually). Should we
leave it there (no no, not "leave" but nurse, cultivate and tend to) or
try to bring them together and set up a more static image of it at
osgeo/static. (no ? huh)

Best regards,
(Oh please, someone shut me up)

With best regards,