Shirts and CafePress

Michael P. Gerlek mpg at lizardtech.com
Fri Aug 18 21:47:32 EDT 2006

I have embraced the "Don't ask, just do!" model -- to wit, check this
out:

    http://www.cafepress.com/OSGeo

So, I would like to make the following proposal for the selling shirts &
stuff:

* CafePress will be used to sell shirts and other stuff directly to
members
  - shirts, bumper stickers, teddy bears, what have you
  - quality is "good" but not "great"
  - profits go directly to foundation
  - we don't need to handle payments, returns, shipping, etc

* Lands' End will be used for bulk orders of "really nice" shirts
  - to give to volunteers at shows
  - for VIP give-aways at shows
  - shipping would go directly to show venue (or mpg/LizardTech, if need
be)
  - VisCom will manage these orders directly

Three specific issues need resolution:
  - I'd like to get some help tweaking the "store front" design (someone
with a
    sense of style)
  - I'd like some suggestions on pricing (how much do we want to make?)
  - I need to coordinate with Treasurer Gary in arranging accounts and
such

Also, we might have some discussion about how this direct-sale process
affects the idea of "contribute $X to become a Foundation sponsor, and
get a free shirt".  (I'd suggest the shirt-for-membership idea is a good
one, and we use the "really nice, super-exclusive" Lands End shirts for
this purpose.)

All that being said, the CafePress site is technically live right now
and ready to roll.  If we advertised it tomorrow, orders would start to
appear.

-mpg