[OSGeo-Board] Re: People at FOSS4G

Tyler Mitchell tylermitchell at shaw.ca
Wed Aug 30 12:57:57 EDT 2006

I'm hearing two different requests here:
1-to help support some others to go to FOSS4G and EuroOSCON
2-to bring in more help to fill volunteer holes at the two conferences.

It would help to dissect these a bit - more below...

Jo wrote:
> > I don't know whether it would be appropriate for
> > the foundation to have a travel grant fund - it might be a bit
> > hard to get sponsorship for. I'm thinking something very limited for
> > people who really could benefit from the support.

In a way, this has already been happening, starting with the Chicago meeting, where Autodesk sponsored travel for many to make it to various meetings.  Obviously it's been ad hoc, and not done formally through a request to OSGeo, but has been very helpful for OSGeo.  This hasn't been tied to the OSGeo promo budget though.  I just mention it so that we don't think there has been money spent from our primary sponsor to allow for this already.

When the promo/travel budget was discussed earlier I thought it was more in the context of sending representatives places where there would otherwise be a less effective (or non existant) OSGeo presence.  I think it should be tied pretty tightly to specific events where OSGeo will clearly gain from a promo perspective and where that promo isn't covered off by others already.

Perhaps you are thinking more of a fund that is less tethered to promotion and more benevolent in nature?

Arnulf wrote:
> the response from projects to help staff booths at FOSS4G and
> EuroOSCON has been near void. As Visibility is one of the key missions of
> OSGeo I would very much support tapping into our VisCom budget to get
> people help staff the booth.

Are the 'free' passes to the conference not enough to encourage more volunteers?  Or do we not have enough passes?  Maybe I'm wrongly assuming Europe is just full of FOSS folks ready to volunteer if they get a free shirt? :)

How many volunteers for FOSS4G and EuroOSCON do we have already and how many more do we need?

Isn't FOSS4G going to be so full of OSGeo and project related folks that we will be turning them away?

I'm sure you'd agree that the best value is tapping into more local volunteers as much as possible.  This worked well at Where 2.0 and OSCON - I grabbed a couple people I knew and then relied on referrals from them to get more people who were keen.  That helped build a local interest group, helped expand the OSGeo net further and was a win-win for everybody.  There were even a couple leftover tickets that we were able to give to some students who were doing some good (local) open source GIS work.

I suggest casting the net as wide as you can - i.e. on discuss list - and then zeroing in on people that you know are going to be there, who live in the area, who could come with a little encouragement or who know others in the area they could recommend.

As an aside, I'd much rather see promo funds go toward helping establish regional meetups than to just help keep people flocking around the world to the venue of the month.

I would at least like to see any funds used to bring in more help be focused on local people.  The reality is that a pseudo-OSGeo-related conference or regional user group is coming soon ... to a venue near you.

I'm not saying we shouldn't try to find support for the two Jo mentioned, or try to give more incentive to build up our presence - but I just wanted to lay out my perspective and ask a few more questions.

Hope it helps,
Tyler