[VisCom] Check these out..!

Tyler Mitchell tylermitchell at shaw.ca
Thu Dec 14 18:46:09 EST 2006

On 14-Dec-06, at 2:11 PM, Markus Neteler wrote:

> On 12/12/06, Tyler Mitchell <tylermitchell at shaw.ca> wrote:
>> I'm used to porting ppt into openoffice, no worries there!
>
> Converting PPT into ODP does not work out of the box...
> in fact it needs cleanup (not surprisingly, since PPT isn't
> documented).
> So I hope that the openoffice templates will be polished
> files.

That's what I mean by porting...taking care of the niggly little bits
to make the templates work.   I've done it a lot for my former job.

It seems like too much to expect a proprietary design shop to know
how to push out openoffice .odp.  Next time we might want to consider
design help from a firm that perhaps is more familiar with open
technologies, but the cost/benefit for us to have them produce it
would likely have been less valuable.  Then we will have OSGeo
members who ask us for .ppt files for their presentation and we are
back at square one...

Besides, I see all these templates, ads, etc. as simply patterns that
we can adopt or steal parts from in the many ancillary uses that we
will come up with.  So I don't worry too much whether they are
perfect out of the box - rather, I most care that we have accessible
vector formats and layouts that we can hack apart as needed.  We are
the bridgeware!

My two bits on formats.