[VisCom] FW: Motion re: Shirt order

Tyler Mitchell tylermitchell at shaw.ca
Mon Jul 17 13:49:47 EDT 2006

On 17-Jul-06, at 8:38 AM, Frank Warmerdam wrote:

> Grignon, Alain wrote:
>> Hello All,
>> I think Tyler's motion is viable, considering volunteers at the booth
>> should all have a T-shirt on. That being said, I would further
>> suggest that
>> rather have to order a relatively small number of t0shirts for every
>> conference, it might be more cost effective to order a large
>> quantity now
>> that we can then have shipped to multiple conferences during the
>> year.
>
> Alain / Tyler,
>
> I also wonder if it would be more efficient to get a fair sized
> batch done.

With this provider there isn't a lot of benefit for larger orders-
there is only a 5% discount on orders > $1,000.  Other than that,
there is only greater benefit if you want to have a whole bunch of
different kinds of shirts where they charge you for having too few of
each kind (i.e. 1 button-up, 1 tshirt, etc.).

I can see it as beneficial from a logistics standpoint to still have
more readily at hand, but then the problems comes with who 'manages'
them - how they recover shipping costs, where are the located (U.S.,
Canada, other??).  Tying the shipments to a conference is slick,
because we get them to someone on the ground locally and then don't
have to pay additional shipping to get them to members.  I think we
actually save money taking this approach versus stockpiling our own -
at the moment.

The real issue will come when we start to do anything outside the
U.S. because everyone will get beat-up on shipping costs.  But until
then, seriously, there isn't much benefit.  Shipping a small order of
shirts is <$10 and we're not being penalised for a small order.  A
longer term strategy is definitely needed though, I would agree.

I'll pass this over to the board/treasurer to give me direction on
next steps.  Obviously OSCON orders will _only_ work if I can get it
done this week - so I'm hoping enough of the board can give me the go
ahead ASAP (i.e. not waiting until Friday's meeting).