[VisCom] Update on brochures

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Jun 6 19:36:53 EDT 2006

Jason Birch wrote:
> One of the downfalls of the balkanized open source geospatial community is
> that it has been seen as just a set of tools.  In order to "sell" OSGeo to
> potential users, they will need to see solutions.  The most effective case
> studies for this task would be cross-project rather than project-specific,
> and the community biographies I had in mind would be of users who are
> successfully using or contributing to (and getting value from) multiple
> projects as well.

Jason,

Ah, yes, that sounds very appropriate.

> As to site layout, I really doubt (but could be wrong) that all of the
> existing strong communities will want to modify their existing sites to
> conform to an arbitrary OSGeo layout.  I certainly don't want to duplicate
> content from the project sites or limit their autonomy, but I think that we
> need to sell the OSGeo solution up front and in a consistant manner before
> the users navigate to the (often dense and technically-oriented) project
> pages for more detailed information.  Of course, different users have
> different needs; developers would likely just be presented with a list of
> links to various projects and resources.

As I think Tyler also mentioned, I think the projects are willing to accept
some work towards similar styling and improved navigation though they will
likely never feel entirely consistent.

I guess I'm agreeable in sort of general terms, I just am a bit nervous
about duplication/balkanization of effort.

Best regards,