OSGeo contact to MPG: Berlin Declaration on Open Access to Knowledge in the Sciences and Humanities

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at ccgis.de
Wed Mar 1 05:44:53 EST 2006

Hi All,
I would like to contact the initiators of the "Berlin Declaration on
Open Access to Knowledge in the Sciences and Humanities". In your
opinion, would this be a task that the VisCom team
(https://visibilitycommittee.osgeo.org/) could do on its own, should
VisCom check back with the board? Hoe does this work?

How could we word a letter of interest to the mgp (Max
Planck-Gesellschaft, not Michael Gerlek... :-).

This does not have to be decided in a hurry, take your time. Again: This
would be great for collaborative editing in the Wiki - but in my opinion
it possibly should not be that public right from the start.

+++
mailto:praesident at gv.mpg.de

Dear Praesident, (ok, this should be more formal)
as a representative of the newly formed Open Source Geospatial
Foundation (http://www.osgeo.org) I wanted to acquaint you with our
initiative. We are aware of and support the "Berlin Declaration on Open
Access to Knowledge in the Sciences and Humanities"
(http://oa.mpg.de/openaccess-berlin/berlindeclaration.html).

As active promoters of free access to Public Geospatial Data we are
interested in linking and interacting with your initiative. If this
interest is mutual, we would like to fathom possibilities of further
cooperation. Please reply to this adress or contact xy at osgeo.org
directly for further discussion.

Find some preliminary work in the Wiki:
http://www.fossgis.de/osgeo/index.php/Public_Geospatial_Data_Project)
Please observe that any content in this Wiki is regarded as 'work in
progress' and does not represent official and stable OSGeo policy.

Best regards,
Arnulf Christl (OSGeo BoD)