[OSGeo-Board] Press Release to be published on March 6

Gary Lang gary.lang at autodesk.com
Sat Mar 4 16:48:57 EST 2006

I am not sure that this is taking as long as some seem to feel. Many of you are used to working on smaller projects with less people to coordinate. This is a large project, with a lot of moving parts and a lot more people than the projects some folks have been working on.

When working on a large team, the stakeholders become more far-flung and more activities need to be coordinated. This is particularly true of something like this which isn't a full time job for any of us.

Though it may seem slow, communications from the board need to be coordinated; if people were used to just sending out email or blogging something before it must seem like a drag to have to reach consensus before speaking on behalf of the other stakeholders. While it may be slower, it should be worth it in the long run, because there will be less retractions/corrections required later.

I think we're moving remarkable fast and working together remarkably well, all things considered.

Gary