[VisCom] Re: OSGeo Newsletter

Martin Wegmann wegmann at biozentrum.uni-wuerzburg.de
Mon May 15 06:33:25 EDT 2006

On Monday 15 May 2006 10:03, Markus Neteler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just wanted to bring to attention again the OSGeo Newletter
> idea - see below. Maybe we get the ball rolling in the next
> months?
>
> Markus

Hello,

indeed it is good to bring the attention back to an OSGeo Newsletter, it would
be good to spread informations.

A few questions should be clarified before an OSGeo magazine/newsletter can be
initialised:

1) should it be a magazine (a la http://www.tuxmagazine.com/) or rather a
newsletter ( a la http://grass.itc.it/newsletter/index.php).

	1a) concerning the layout
	1b) concerning the type of articles

-> That means: Should it be attractive enough for companies etc. for
advertising or "only" for the community.
--> Which part of the community should be addressed (devel/user)?

2) Should it deal with OSGeo stuff only (announcements etc.)  or does software
chapters exist, where certain aspects/problems of one specific package is
discussed.

	2a) the internal structure has to be discussed and must be clearly structured
so that the reader can easily find the (for him/her) important parts. If
sections are created, how many sections (GIS/RS/webmapping/ ...)

3) How often should it appear? monthly/quarterly

4) One of the main problem will be a) will enough people volunteer for a
certain section b) will enough users/devel. contribute to the magazine?

	4a) Certainly an OSGeo magazine edt in chief, language edt, layout (!) and
subeditors for sections have to be assigned.

5) The internal file type/structure or program have to be discussed (Latex
vs. ...).
	5a) it must be handy for edt/layout etc.
	5b) it must be easy for user/devel to contribute articles in the correct
format.

Concerning these points I can contribute a few experiences from GRASS-News,
the newsletter of the GRASS-Project.

-> 1) GRASS-News aimed to be attractive for users and developers alike not for
companies hence no advertising.

-> 2) only  announcements and articles concerning "user problems" were
discussed, rather module orientated no overview articles

-> 3) GRASS-News aimed a quarterly release but that depends strongly on the
articles submission frequency - release every 3-6 months

-> 4) There are enough people to help but it is sometimes tedious to fill a
volume, even though the people are very keen to submit an article.

-> 5) GRASS-News is written in Latex what is very handy for edt after you got
used to it but users are sometimes intimidated (sometimes Edt. have to do
some "txt-Latex-translation".)

Something along the lines to start with the "who volunteers" list: I would
volunteer for a GRASS section as Edt. if something like that exist or with
some more people to organise/edit a GIS/RS software section.

I am stronly looking forward to a OSGeo-Magazine, and I think it will increase
the visibility of OSGeo and its project enormously.

best regards, Martin