[VisCom] FW: OSGeo trademarks, guidelines & attribution

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at ccgis.de
Wed May 31 05:41:04 EDT 2006

Peter Moran wrote:
> Guys,
>
> Below is discussion and attached are guidelines from our legal counsel
> regarding protecting the OSGeo name and logo.
>
> Regarding 2) below, I checked with Aaron (the logo creator) and he
> created the compass from scratch, which was good to hear. (Nice work Aaron!)
>
> Proposed Action:
> Daniel to add "Open Source Geospatial Foundation, OSGeo, and the OSGeo
> logo are trademarks of the Open Source Geospatial Foundation in the
> United States and/or other countries worldwide.” after the copyright
> notice on the bottom of the home page.
>
> Proposed Action Once Logo Tagline is Finalized:
> Daniel creates a Logo and Usage page that hosts the logo as pdf, .ai,
> and .eps downloads, with the text in the attached Trademark Guidelines
> making up the body text of the page.
>
> Peter

Hi Peter, All,
I guess that copyrighting something costs money? If yes, from what
budget is OSGeo going to pay that?

Arnulf.

Hi,
we have requested this as a pending problem several weeks ago but it got
lost because other more pressing issues. Maybe this can serve as an
example for a project's individual logo.

The Mapbender Project has a mascot but we don't dare use it because we
do not know whether we run into trouble. The logo and tagline can be
found here:
http://www.mapbender.org/presentations/mapbender_homepage_logo.png

Bender is a figure from Futurama. This Bender is not a copy of the
original but has been created from a modcaser's hompage and we have
written consent from him that we may use it and do whatever we want.
Problem is that it highly resembles the original figure from the TV
series and this is why we don't use it anymore. Any ideas how to proceed?