[OSGeo-Board] Fwd: [NOSI discussion] Announcing the 2007 Nonprofit Software Development Summit

Jo Walsh jo at frot.org
Fri Nov 17 12:12:11 EST 2006

dear Tyler, all,

On Fri, Nov 17, 2006 at 08:48:55AM -0800, Tyler Mitchell wrote:
> Sounds interesting - anyone have experience with any of these folks?

Gunner, the organiser is a friend. Before this event he did a whole
series of "advocacy dev" events, http://advocacydev.org/ has some
info, I went to the first of these with Schuyler. There was a lot of
interest in geospatial demos and applications from the crowd; one core
requirement is to do the nonprofit equivalent of "geomarketing",
managing and targeting long lists of contributors and volunteers.
Other interesting potential applications involve "precinct walking"
tools where you can delegate and annotate door-to-door canvassing or
get-out-the-vote efforts, plan routes etc; and a lot of analysis
mapping of demographic statistics, voting patterns, this sort of thing.

I definitely think that OSGeo contributions would be welcome in this
context, that there would be a lot of interest...

cheers,

jo