[OSGeo-Board] Re: [VisCom] Re: OSGeo logo on business cards and other printed materials

Venkatesh Raghavan raghavan at media.osaka-cu.ac.jp
Mon Nov 20 23:16:12 EST 2006

Jason Birch wrote:
> All looks good to me, and I agree that simple use of "Member" under
> logo should be enough to clarify relationship.
>
> I'm not sure about other language representations of "OSGeo".
> Sticking with the english version would be easier (do Coke or Nike
> translate?) but not really acceptable given our global composition.

In China every thing is written in chinese Coca-Cola is
branded as「可口可乐」. Not the same case in japan though.

I think it is the same with Nike too.

However, I did not mean translating the OSGeo logo.
Perhaps adding some words in local language above
or below the logo so that the local audience knows
what the logo represents.

> Do we need to establish an approved list of translations of this word
> mark?  I'm sure that there are multiple possible translations for any
> given language.
>
> In any case, for local chapters I think it would be reasonable to
> have the logo, the word OSGeo (however that's resolved), and then the
> local language translated words "Japan Local Chapter" in the same
> size text as the slogan.

Sounds good to me.

Kind regards

Venka