board actions from VisCom
Michael P. Gerlek
mpg at lizardtech.com
Thu Sep 28 13:02:30 EDT 2006
>From this morning's meeting, three requested actions for the board:
(1) Review VisCom's trademark usage guidelines
(http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/TrademarkGuidelines) and take one of
the following actions:
- approve as-is to be official OSGeo policy
- return to VisCom with minor semantic changes requested
- return to VisCom with major semantic changes requested
Note that VisCom plans to to significantly improve the FAQ
(http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/TrademarkFAQ), but keep within the
policies in the main document (and inherited from Mozilla).
(2) Resolve the long-standing "TM" question -- specifically, should we
obtain formal trademark status for key OSGeo branding elements? VisCom
is in favor of doing this. This action may require moderate expense and
use of a lawyer, but it out of VisCom's scope. We suggest three
- the name "The Open Source Geospatial Foundation"
- the name "OSGeo"
- the compass logo
Note: it is not clear if the word "THE" is in our formal full name or
not. VisCom needs to know this, to get our trademark guidelines
document correct. Someone, probably a legal person, would know this.
Note: depending on the disposition of item (3) below, our actual logo
might need undergo some small changes before we formally register it.
(3) Approve our request for $7200 for logo and branding work,
http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/LogoProposal. Note that if we are going
to do (2), then the logo rework will include addition of a (TM) to it.
More information about the Marketing