[Viscom-dev] Meeting tomorrow!

Arnulf Christl (OSGeo) arnulf.christl at wheregroup.com
Tue Apr 10 21:29:16 EDT 2007

hOn Wed, April 11, 2007 00:22, Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) wrote:
> I don't have anything pressing to go over.  Can anyone else think of
> anything?
>
> Tyler

Hi
well, I guess our agenda is more than full:
* need for a new chair
* consider join with / takeover by WebCom
* add advocacy as VisCom objective
* motion to add new member Torsten Brassat
* Clean up event list, track down event owners
* get reports from "small" OSGeo events from the "rest of the world" like
geoevenement in France.

Unfortunately I will not be able to attend either, so we will probably
have to defer most to the next possible meeting date. Meanwhile we should
start to discuss some of these issues as they are bugging us for some time
already.

Item three and six are especially dear to me as I see a need for a place
to produce advocacy material (there was talk of "logiciel" and "Open
Source" as opposites as if Open Source was a different thing than software
 altogether...). We need a "neutral" point of access to avoid flames on
topics that we all have consented on or we all understand but some still
don't. Huh? Know what I mean? Exactly. :-) I want to get rid of this kind
of talk be attached to me personally as it is not me but general
awareness. With an official palce to live it will have more weight than if
I do it as an individual. Anyway - there is still a lot to learn and we
need a place to discuss terminology and all other lists have not been that
repsonsive on some questions asked. Be it governance issues or the
definition of "a project" (is it the code, the copyrighted name, the
community and so on).

Item four: I want to propose to add Torsten Brassat as new VisCom member
to act as OSGeo representative for German language event management as I
cannot do it anymore due to blatantly visible limits of available time.
The Intergeo 2007 is coming up quick, it is a really large event and we
need to start negotiating now. We need someone with official background to
conduct dickering, last year I did this in my function as a board member.
This year I want this to happen in a more regular way.
Maybe we do not even need to have an official meeting to add Torsten, I
refrained from bringing this up as VisCom is functionally and
institutionally in a state of flux. But even if we join with WebCom all
existing VisCom members will still stay functional so we can do it now all
the same.

I herewith motion to add Torsten Brassat as a member to VisCom. I know him
for more than five years, he has been doing most of the groundwork and
organization of the past FOSSGIS conferences, LinuxTag and Intergeo events
and is fully knowledgeable of all that one needs to know about OSGeo.

If someone would second this motion we could probably proceed to vote.

Best regards,
Arnulf.

--
Arnulf Christl