[Viscom-dev] Spatial Sciences Conference, Hobart Australia

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at wheregroup.com
Sat Feb 3 13:52:37 EST 2007

On Sat, February 3, 2007 12:23, Cameron Shorter wrote:
> Thankyou for the offer of help. I have some big asks, and will
> understand if it is too hard to achieve. Hopefully this will be useful
> for other events and so more effort can be dedicated to it.

Hi Cameron,
here is the deal: You consent to guinea pig with us through a little
tedious formality that we are trying to get in place to organize events
and we give you all that you need. (Details follow in a separte mail).

> The Audience for the Spatial Sciences conference will probably be
> Government based mapping departments, probably using ESRI and Oracle
> Spatial.
>
> What would be very useful for me is to have material to help sell Open
> Source GIS to ESRI experts. - Note that I have next to no experience in
> the ESRI products.

That is actually a good thing. It shows people who have been <colorful
speech>brainwashed</colorful speech> by especially one proprietary vendor
that you can actually perform GIS perfeclty well *without* having to know
how it is done with that specific vendor's software. My experience is that
people are really surprised to find out that "GIS" is not equal to "ESRI".

> I'm thinking documentation (posters, slides, white papers) along the
> lines of:
> * A table matching proprietary products to OS products. Arron Raciot has
> a slide which is a start. It would be good to flesh this out more.
> interfaces are used to connect components.
> * Some bench mark comparisons

I have had bad experience with such things. It gets people revved up about
processor speed and triple core Titanium water cooled hyperpower boxes.
Additionally spatial data is as divers as are the requirements. Then you
have a good argument. One software will not be the unltimate solution
anyway, so why not combine the best for the repsecitve prupose. And right
you are in the middle of the Open Source Ecosystem where a Java class
queries the speed of light C-library to present the stuff with a
JavaScript client regardless of where the software sprang from (all tied
to gether using standards and so on...).

> * A migration strategy from ESRI to OS.

The strategy is straight forward: Just go, what are you waiting for? :-)

> * A poster showing the OS Geo stack.

What do you have in mind? Something in a style like this:
http://www.wheregroup.com/files/imageupload/gdi.png
(maybe several for different architectures and needs for all projects)

or more like this:
http://www.mapbender.org/images/7/70/Typical_foss_sdi.png

or as part of a presentation slide like this:
http://www.mapbender.org/images/8/87/City_map_services_OSGeo_software_stack.png

If any of this looks like what you need we (that is VisCom) can produce
some generic OSGeo slides and posters for you. If you feel like putting in
some efforts yourself Michal Gerlek can give you templates and info sheets
for at least the initial eight OSGeo projects. We are currently lacking a
common collaboration platform like SVN or up and download area.

> * Explanations of the OGC standards, including SOA network diagrams
> showing how the

Many diagrams reference OGC standards and the OSGeo SDI stack is designed
as a SOA so that should be taken care of. I wonder whether there are any
good resources available at the OGC site, one could check that...

Best regards,
Arnulf.

> Michael P. Gerlek wrote:
>> Cameron-
>>
>> Sounds great.  I've add the event to the calender.  If we can help in
>> any way, just let us know...
>>
>> -mpg

Arnulf Christl
http://www.wheregroup.com