[Viscom-dev] Spatial Sciences Conference, Hobart Australia

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Sat Feb 3 23:36:52 EST 2007

Arnulf Christl wrote:
> On Sat, February 3, 2007 12:23, Cameron Shorter wrote:
>
>> Thankyou for the offer of help. I have some big asks, and will
>> understand if it is too hard to achieve. Hopefully this will be useful
>> for other events and so more effort can be dedicated to it.
>>

> Hi Cameron,
> here is the deal: You consent to guinea pig with us through a little
> tedious formality that we are trying to get in place to organize events
> and we give you all that you need. (Details follow in a separte mail).

"All that you need ..."  I don't think you appreciate the size of my
wish list. :)

I should point out that this conference in Hobart should not be
considered a key OSGeo event. Terrapages will have a stand which I will
be standing behind, and I will be pushing both OSGeo and Terrapages.

However, I consider the key message requirements for Hobart will be the
same as OSGeo conferences around the world.

>> The Audience for the Spatial Sciences conference will probably be
>> Government based mapping departments, probably using ESRI and Oracle
>> Spatial.
>>
>> What would be very useful for me is to have material to help sell Open
>> Source GIS to ESRI experts. - Note that I have next to no experience in
>> the ESRI products.
>>

> That is actually a good thing. It shows people who have been <colorful
> speech>brainwashed</colorful speech> by especially one proprietary vendor
> that you can actually perform GIS perfeclty well *without* having to know
> how it is done with that specific vendor's software. My experience is that
> people are really surprised to find out that "GIS" is not equal to "ESRI".
>

>> I'm thinking documentation (posters, slides, white papers) along the
>> lines of:
>> * A table matching proprietary products to OS products. Arron Raciot has
>> a slide which is a start. It would be good to flesh this out more.
>> interfaces are used to connect components.
>> * Some bench mark comparisons
>>

> I have had bad experience with such things. It gets people revved up about
> processor speed and triple core Titanium water cooled hyperpower boxes.
> Additionally spatial data is as divers as are the requirements. Then you
> have a good argument. One software will not be the unltimate solution
> anyway, so why not combine the best for the repsecitve prupose. And right
> you are in the middle of the Open Source Ecosystem where a Java class
> queries the speed of light C-library to present the stuff with a
> JavaScript client regardless of where the software sprang from (all tied
> to gether using standards and so on...).

That sounds like good advice.

>> * A migration strategy from ESRI to OS.
>>

> The strategy is straight forward: Just go, what are you waiting for? :-)
>

>> * A poster showing the OS Geo stack.
>>

> What do you have in mind? Something in a style like this:
> http://www.wheregroup.com/files/imageupload/gdi.png
> (maybe several for different architectures and needs for all projects)

Yes, useful to explain specific use cases.
> or more like this:
> http://www.mapbender.org/images/7/70/Typical_foss_sdi.png

This is good. Probably add "WFS" and "WMS" over the lines. Add in a few
extra components, like heavy/web clients.
I wonder how much information we can add before the diagram becomes too
complicated.

> or as part of a presentation slide like this:
> http://www.mapbender.org/images/8/87/City_map_services_OSGeo_software_stack.png

Good, but probably not as good as the one above.
> If any of this looks like what you need we (that is VisCom) can produce
> some generic OSGeo slides and posters for you. If you feel like putting in
> some efforts yourself Michal Gerlek can give you templates and info sheets
> for at least the initial eight OSGeo projects. We are currently lacking a
> common collaboration platform like SVN or up and download area.
>

>> * Explanations of the OGC standards, including SOA network diagrams
>> showing how the
>>

> Many diagrams reference OGC standards and the OSGeo SDI stack is designed
> as a SOA so that should be taken care of. I wonder whether there are any
> good resources available at the OGC site, one could check that...

I've looked but haven't found what I'm looking for. But I agree, the OGC
should "own" this part of the presentation.