[Viscom-dev] Formalizing Event Management

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at wheregroup.com
Mon Feb 5 10:53:21 EST 2007

Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> Arnulf Christl wrote:
>> Hi,
>> we have decided to formalize how OSGeo gets involved in events a few
>> months back. But now the new (very cool) Drupal event calender lists
>> events that I not heard of before and don't know about the status. I
>> have lost track and as Event List Manager this is my time to raise the
>> white flag. I propose that we stick to the steps as noted down here:
>> http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Event_Management
>>
>> I know that this more formal process might shy people away but I see
>> no other way to keep track of what is going on.
>> Comments?
>
> Arnulf,
>
> As a non-VisCom'er I have a bit of a concern with:
>
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Event_Management#Proposing_Participation_at_an_Event
>

> It is not uncommon that people will approach me about an event, or an event
> will come to my attention and I would like to refer the event to VisCom for
> consideration.  However, I don't want to become the event owner.  I just
> want
> it queued for *consideration* by VisCom.
>
> How should that work?  Is there a way for me to refer things without
> taking on
> substantial responsibility?
>
> Best regards,

Yes.

Basically I am only telling the Wiki story yet again. Whoever writes an email to VisCom or hacks a Wiki page leaves a trace of who she is and when she put this information into the system. That way she is automatically "originator" of this Event. When she decides to not do anything further it just doesn't develop into a real event (without her taking on any substantial responsibility). I just want to add the <formal nuisance> [[Category: </formal nuisance> stuff to make it better accessible by VisCom.

VisCom has the potential to make events happen although nobody takes on responsibility on their own because it has a mission and a budget and dedicated people (*consideration*). To keep an overview of what is going on the Categories are very helpful. That way VisCom can keep an eye on what new events are proposed and may call them to the attention of specific communities by posting to their list ("Hey Java folks there is such and such...").

An OSGeo service brought to you by VisCom.

PS:
If [[Event Owner]] is too appalling to her we can call it more neutrally [[Event Proposal]]. Eventually somebody will change that tag to read [[Event Owner]] take on responsibility that is directly proportional to the size of the event and involvement. 4, 8 and 10 events of different sizes are funded by OSGeo's VisCom budget.