[VisCom] Geospatial Events calendar?

Tyler Mitchell tylermitchell at shaw.ca
Wed Jan 10 14:17:58 EST 2007

On 10-Jan-07, at 9:22 AM, Tim Bowden wrote:

> Ok, I've just had a look at those links and the first question I
> have to
> ask is where does that leave us with our stand at the lca open day?
> (http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Australia#LCA_Open_Day)  We haven't
> gone through any of the process outined; I guess we just assumed we
> could do an OSGeo promotion; probably because it's all been a rush job
> on short notice.  Given Frank and Tyler's positive response so far I
> assume that's not too much of a problem ;-)  Whatever we do, we
> have to
> be quick as we have only 1 week till the open day to get organised.

I think we're all happy to see you organising something and that
Arnulf's comments may be more focused on larger, more formal events
that need more OSGeo official help (i.e. funding, volunteer
enticement, etc).  At least I am happy to see a local group
organising a presence at this event.  As part of VisCom, I'm happy to
help with getting your event going.  Though it hasn't been on our
radar before now, I see it as a great opportunity to help give the
Australian chapter some momentum to get organised.  Do you have
sponsorships already or enough volunteer funding to help get the
stand and brochure printing?

> Practical matters; We will need to get our brochures printed.  I'm
> thinking about 300 of each.  (Cameron / Milton any better estimate?
> There are expected to be 300-400 through the gates.  I can't
> see /everyone/ wanting a brochure)  That should leave us with some
> over
> for the next event.  What brochures or posters are available please?

The brochures are available at:
http://osgeo.org/files/viscom/OSGeo_Brochures_v1_PDF.zip
and a double-sided (or two page) overview sheet is here:
http://osgeo.org/files/viscom/OSGeo_Overview.pdf

And a openoffice presentation file I pulled together (nothing fancy!)
is here:
http://osgeo.org/files/viscom/au2006_slideshow.odp - you should be
able to run it and walk away.

There are single PDF files, one for each project (excluding
OpenLayers and GeoNetworks, unfortunately).  There is also one PDF in
there that has all these projects as separate pages - so you can
easily print all of them quickly and/or use them in a slideshow.
There are 10 altogether and they are starting to show their age, but
it's all we've got right now.

As an aside, if anyone wants to try out their graphic layout skills
using http://scribus.net software - I have source files for all the
brochures.  They need some updating (logo) and we need a couple more
to be produced.

> T-shirts.  The Event management page recomends OSGeo T-shirts.  We
> would
> only need 4 (I think) however there probably isn't enough time to get
> that sorted.

Tell us what sizes you could use - if we have them in stock, we might
be able to ship them.  Otherwise I agree it is too quick to get them
organised.  If you find a local vendor that could rush some
silkscreening or something, you could grab our logo and try it out.

> Publication. Once we know what we are doing we need to get the word
> out
> on the street in Sydney.  Not sure yet where.  What GIS blogs can
> we get
> a mention on?

What does the rest of VisCom think - would we want to do a press
release?  We usually reserve those for large organisation-wide
announcements though.  I'd at least target DirectionsMag and Slashgeo.

I'm keen to see you get into this conference and will do whatever I
can to help.  Especially if you say hi for me to Wayne Piekarski who
also has a stand on some great augmented reality stuff.  (Bonus
points if you find some common ground for us to work with him ;-) )

Best wishes!  I'm on/offline during moving this week but will still
be doing work.