[Viscom-dev] Merger with WebCom?

Tyler Mitchell tylermitchell at shaw.ca
Wed Mar 21 16:39:37 EDT 2007

On 21-Mar-07, at 12:09 AM, Michael P. Gerlek wrote:

> Events are also a problem because the Big Ones seem to require a
> significant amount of up-front planning and committment, and that's
> hard to do with volunteer labor.

I think we're doing okay on this so far, but having a budget will
help with this by providing more resources to the volunteers.

> - move the Big Event question over to the ED (sorry, Tyler),
> because for now it requires substantial up-front planning and
> monetary committment; if the Board and ED don't want to do any Big
> Shows this year, then great; all other Events should be only of the
> form "we'll give you small grant" and handled by ComCom -- unless
> someone volunteers for more (again on a case by case basis, like
> Intergeo)

I see it as really being up to VisCom to decide what events/types of
events to aim for.  I think we've laid out the vision/plan for VisCom
pretty well - at least on the event side.. now it's just a budget
question.  That's why we went through the event brainstorming and
budgeting exercise.

It seems to me that others on the committee are happy to take on some
of the bigger events as long as adequate support is available.  How
much financial support the board approves is another matter, but
don't let it confuse you.  Perhaps we need to have this discussion
again, but thought we ironed this out a while back.

I'm not sure exactly what you are thinking I could do better than the
committee, but I don't think it will help.  I can really only handle
1 at a time max. and am not so perfectly attuned to the community to
be able to know what events are best or most important, etc.  It
gives a false sense that I am "in charge" of something that is really
the mandate of a committee that is more than adequate to handle it.

Back to Jason's question... when I say I think event management could
subsume the new committee, I mean that when we have a meeting about
events they tend to take a long time or require high energy.
Sometimes you have little time/energy left after going through it -
but that could just be me :)  Also they have such real timelines/
deadlines associated with them that events tend to take priority over
everything else.

Is that a showstopper or major concern to others?  Still, if there is
significant overlap between the people on both committees, perhaps
working closer together on the whole visibility side would make sense.

I'm not sure either way...