[Viscom-dev] [Fwd: Invitation to Propose a Workshop or Tutorial for GSDI 10]

Jeroen Ticheler Jeroen.Ticheler at fao.org
Fri May 25 04:43:24 EDT 2007

Hi all,
We had a good experience in Santiago with our workshop. It was more
of an extended demonstration due to the lack of computer facilities
and due to the fact that almost nobody took a laptop or so with them
into the workshop.

We went through a session that installed and showed GeoServer,
GeoNetwork and gvSIG. Than we set up a map service, created a related
catalog entry and had gvSIG and GeoNetwork use the WMS service from
GeoServer. gvSIG searched the GeoNetwork node and found the GeoServer
map service and opened it. I don't remember if we had gvSIG also use
the WFS service from GeoServer.

All in all it was a good and challenging experience with a large
audience attending. It also provided us with one of those necessary
milestones in establishing and/or testing interoperability between
applications :-)

We (GeoNetwork and gvSIG) just discussed a workshop at the gvSIG
conference in November, including GeoServer. We also discussed taking
that to GSDI-10. So I think there's all the scope from our side to
proceed with a proposal. Even if nobody is in the position at this
point in time to say they will see those blue oceans with there feet
in the water :-) What a bad outlook that is...

With the availability of modern computer labs, as described on the
GSDI-10 site, we now have to define the type and the number of
workshops :-)
What projects are thinking of giving a workshop at GSDI-10? Who would
like to do cross-project workshops?

Ciao,
Jeroen