[Viscom-dev] Project Flyer

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) tmitchell at osgeo.org
Wed May 30 12:44:56 EDT 2007

On 30-May-07, at 8:06 AM, Arnulf Christl wrote:

> Hi Tyler,
> Stephan and Hendrik have sent you updated project flyers including
> the new projects QGIS, OpenLayers, FDO and GeoNetwork.

I just had a look at them - good work guys.  It would be good if they
can describe what changes they made.

> Skribus seems to have been somewhat reluctant to cooperate - at
> least I gather that from the complaints that I heard from the next
> room while they were at it... Are we going to stick with Skribus
> for this job?

My heart is not set on Scribus, but I used it so we could use a
package specifically designed for desktop publishing.  What other
options are there?  It has been slowly improving, I suggest building
from source if possible :)

The one thing I was trying to aim for was to be able to just save a
text file and then import it into Scribus and be done with it.  But
that wasn't working perfectly.  Perhaps a latex approach would work,
just maintain a template and import project-specific text files...
if that was possible it'd be coolest.  Or at least a website where
you put some text into a couple text boxes and then the website
creates the PDF for you from a template.  Doesn't Mapbender has a
similar function ;)

> Next question is how to get the Projects update and maintain their
> Info sheets themselves. We went through all of them once now to
> have a stable baseline but from now on maintenance needs to be done
> by the projects themselves. Maybe we can do the same thing as I
> suggested for the portal pages. Make a Wiki page and use that plus
> some nice layout in Skribus to produce the Flyers.

This is tougher.  I originally harassed all the initial projects to
send me the text, some bullets and some graphics.  It seemed like a
lot of work for them :)  Some projects only pointed me to their
website, instead of refactoring text for me.  It made it a lot more
work for me.   Isn't there an incubation requirement to help with
promotion stuff?

> Maybe you could put the PDFs on the web and remove the tag saying
> that they are still being worked over? http://www.osgeo.org/visibility

I have uploaded them to the server, just have to replace some links
to make them live.
Thanks again,