[Marketing] Marketing plan part 3

Dave McIlhagga dmcilhagga at dmsolutions.ca
Mon Nov 19 12:08:10 EST 2007

One quick thought -- certainly the merits of spending the $$$
allocated to marketing in one area or another are important to
discuss and I'll leave that one to the committee to decide what makes
sense.

Re. some of the other items however:

1. Money has been budgeted to keep the infrastructure up, so this
should not be an issue.

2. Re. funding technical efforts - I think this is generally where we
see most success from volunteer work. If a set of volunteers see a
specific need for money to help "get over the hump" in special cases
- perhaps it's worth looking at. But apart from that, I'm not sure
it's the best thing for the foundation to be meddling with.
Contracting, determining who to contract with, etc. etc.. may end up
costing more than the 5-10k that would be spent in these areas.
Technical work in particular doesn't just have to be built -- it has
to be sustained. If funding is required to build it ... I really have
to question whether the ability for it be sustained in the long run
truly exists.

Personally -- I think putting a solid professional face on the
organization always adds credibility and gives potential adopters of
these technologies the confidence that this is for real and not a
"risk" to be associated with.

Dave