[Marketing] OSGeo Marketing Strategy part 2

Jeroen Ticheler Jeroen at Ticheler.net
Tue Oct 9 15:58:49 EDT 2007

Hi all,
Thanks for the supporting messages! I really want this thing to be a
successful process with a lot of consensus, so if at any time you
feel I am missing the boat or ignoring relevant issues, please let me
know immediately!

I had a lunch meeting on the topic again with the marketing/design
people I work(ed) with. I tried to explain what I thought were some
of the key objectives OSGeo should achieve in the coming year. I'll
list those here for comments and further discussion/refinement. We
agreed we'll get a first proposal together to assess what is
reasonably achievable considering the available budget. I have
indicated that in this whole process I need the community support and
as such the implementation of the work will be different then when
they deal with just me and a small GN community.

Here's what I put up as goals (as I see them, considering what we
discussed in Victoria etc...)

- In rough terms we have two groups OSGeo serves. (1) the developer
communities of the different projects, and (2) the user broader
community of geospatial applications. Both have a business component
to them; the first is to have a healthy community and thus product,
the second is a good, professional image that helps drive business.
- We take fairly good care of ourselves for what the developer
community concerns
	I suggested we do not forget this part of the community, but not
focus on it at this stage from the Marketing point of view.
- We have to transfer a message of trust and professionalism to the
user community (the people, businesses and governments that buy the
services/ use the tools)
	Ingredients:
	- Healthy, well established projects that work in a professional
manner (PSC, workplans, release strategy, bug reporting and fixing,
etc..)
	- Intellectual Property issues are closely monitored and have been
evaluated for all core projects
	- High quality software, use of standards etc...
	- Coherence and collaboration between projects
	- Support and training from professional companies
	- Free and Open Source Software is not just source code, it is about
participation and true open collaboration. Hell with fake open
source ;-) , OSGeo is about real Free and Open Source Software. Users
have to be made aware of this in clear terms.

	I may have forgotten some things now...

- We have to improve the visual identity that is reflected in the web
site, OSGeo journal, articles, flyers and conferences. This goes
beyond the OSGeo logo I think. (just to be clear, I will not try to
touch the logo because it is very good already!).

Goals:
	- Have a message we can deliver to users that is convincing and
clear. They have to directly understand the benefits of using OSGeo
software over other solutions :-)
	- Be able to use the marketing materials to convince potential
sponsors of the benefits of joining OSGeo as a sponsor. "This is what
you get when you support in OSGeo", "Professionalism and quality that
benefits your business".
	- Be able to add at least 5 (!?) new, substantial OSGeo and/or
project sponsors to the list in the coming year.
	- Have a common visual identity (see above) with at least a folded
A3 size flyer that gives the key messages/ overview.
	- The materials will have to be available for translation by the
different local chapters. We have to be able to maintain / update
these materials.

OK, I talked for an hour on this, so I for sure miss things in this
email, but I think I got the main components.

I have suggested that when we get started, they (Birgit and Ines)
join the mailing list to participate in some of the discussion.

Once I have an initial proposal from them, I'll get this back to the
list.
Ciao,
Jeroen