[Marketing] just some thoughts

Michael P. Gerlek mpg at lizardtech.com
Thu Dec 11 12:22:54 EST 2008

Miguel escribió:

> I usually come up against explaining both Open Source and FOSS4G. If we
> don't give some guidelines about open source, it may stop some CTOs from
> going to open source, and it makes impossible therefore to adopt FOSS4G
> projects.

This surprises/disappoints me.  Amongst the developer or technical decision maker crowd, are there really still people who in don't grok at least the overarching idea of open source?

The people I meet may not know the geo world has such strong FOSS offerings, and they may not be able to articulate the differences between GPL and BSD licenses, but they definitely understand the general idea.

-mpg